Currently I'm reading: Jenseits vom Tatort by Horst Brandt

About Me

Followers

Add me

Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin Follow on Bloglovin

Page visits

Follow me on

Blog Archive

My Blog List

Powered by Blogger.

Peggy Farooqi is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk.

4 March 2014



First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intro is hosted by bibliophilebythesea.

This is how it works: Write down either the first paragraph of a book your are currently reading / intending to read or read in the past and share with us. I do like a good opening!




My book choice today is How to Knock a Bravebird from her Perch by D. Bryant Simmons.This book is very different from my recent, more lighthearted reads. Read as part of Black History Months, it is the story of an African American woman, and domestic abuse.  

Did you ever read a book and just wish think 'Nooo, I gotta do something, this can't go on'. The book tells the story of Belinda, or Pecan as she is known. Born in Mississippi and lovingly raised by her dad after her mother disappears, Pecan marries the first man that shows any kind of interest in her. Ricky is a professional boxer and for everything which he doesn't like one way or another, Pecan will feel his raw anger and his fists. She gives him four daughters.  Pecan is desperate for a way out of this violent marriage. Will she find the strength to leave him and build a life? Pecan is the narrator in this story, and I love how the author got it just right with the language  - I can hear Pecan's voice when she speaks.  I'm currently about 65% in after I didn't get a lot of reading time last week. Full review later this week. 



Prologue

The Wind came and blew through town like never before on the day I was born It was May 17, 1952 in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. When the nurse came around to tell my daddy I was here he whooped and hollered so loudly everybody thought he was crazy. Hell, it took five nurses to convince him that it was okay to touch me. I wasn't real tiny like some babies, but he was a big ma with big old hands. Big and ashy with blisters and dead skin. He was always apologising for them, but me, I loved them. 







Teaser Tuesday is hosted by MizB at Should be reading. 

These are the rules  (taken directly from MizB's blog:)


• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!


From How to Knock a Bravebird from her Perch by D Bryant Simmons


" Huh? Think you about to out-think me? That I can't see what's right up in my face? Who is he?"
"Who - he ain't nobody - I mean…ain't nobody."
"You fucking around on me?"
"No. I…I was just going to the store. I was…I was coming right back." First one hurt the most. The slap. Backhanded me like I was just a fly. 


=

"HAVE YOU LOST YO' MIND, PECAN? HAVE YOU?"
"No. Maybe. I don't think so."
"You got four babies out there that need they mama! And you got a man that's crazy."
"That ain't my fault. He'd be crazy no matter what I did. Why you don't talk to him about his craziness? Instead of putting it on me…"
"You a grown woman, Pecan. You know what you doing. You know. You gonna mess around and get yourself killed!"
"Least I got to have some happiness before it happened." 


So, a strong story from me today. Would it interest you?